mercredi 16 janvier 2013

The Play-Ground


When painfully athwart my brain
Dark thoughts come crowding on,
And, sick of worldly hollwness,
My heart feels sad or lone-

Then out  upon the green I walk,
Just ere the close of day,
And swift I ween the sight I view
Clears all my gloom away.

For there I see young chidren -
The cheeriest thing on earth -
I see them play - I hear their tones
Of loud and reckless mirth.

And many a clear and flute-like laugh
Comes ringing through the air;
And many a roguish, flashing eye,
And rich red cheek, are there.

O, lovely, happy children!
I am with you in my soul;
I shout - I strike the ball with you -
With you I race and roll. -

Methinks white-winged angels,
Floating unseen the while,
Hover around this village green,
And pleansantly they smile.

O, angels! guard these children!
Keep grief and guilt away:
From earthly harm - from evil thoughts
O, shield them night and day!

Walt Whitman  The Complete Poems   (Penguin Classics)

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire